Saturday, November 5, 2011

The stiffening



My aunt who had been dead for several years now had been brought back to life.  I was in a car in the driver's side in the back seat and my aunt Lila was in the front driver's seat driving on this day.  We had dropped down off of a major highway to a side branch that had concrete walls on each side.

I was chattering along to Lila as I often did and I had said something that referred to her having been dead before.  It was not a direct mention but something that was so darn close that a reasoning mind might very well go there.  I saw my beloved and dear aunt stop all movement and then begin a noticeable process of stiffening, actually I should probably say hardening as if she were drying concrete that turned white and stiff with each second that passed.

I shook her and in panic I hit her rather hard with closed fist. I tried my best to stop what I was seeing.  Then I had another worry. Our car was going down this concrete trough of a road and was heading toward the wall and with a steep curve coming we would hit it. I first tried turning the car straight and then I reached over and further and shut off the ignition.

After we stopped I was saddened, and now unbelievably frightened. I was in a country I did not know geographically or in any other way and I had no idea how to tell my father where we were even if I did call him by cell phone and reach him in his car somewhere in the country as well.

I walked away from the car after we had scrapped the wall and stopped and headed down the road.  I got to a series of businesses.  I went inside one to see if I could find anyone that spoke English.  This was Norway so I did not at all speak their language.  I did find some fellows that were in the pub that I had entered that each spoke some English so together they set out to help me find a room, something to eat, and contact my father and let him know where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment