Thursday, October 6, 2011

Snake Sliding



I was among the many sliders this day.  Let me describe our slide area.  Imagine a gentle slide of water that went down 25 feet.  Sit down at the top and take the slide down.  It was as simple as that except there was one more addition.  Snakes were known to be around the entire area.  These were venomous snakes, you know the kind that might kill you? Yes those kind.  To get to the top there was a cement step with metal railing walkway up.  Here too you could take a snake strike. 

Some days the snakes seemed to ignore the commotion and you would see not a strike.  Other days it seemed they made up for the quiet days and tried there damndest to hit anything moving.  This day was one of the more active days.  As always there were onlookers that were cajoled by the sliders to join them.  I guess I should say join us because I too was a slider and had on many occasions. 

I had made a skillful ballet of a slide and got no action.  I needed to get something from the bottom area so I started walking down the rail and BAM I took a strike.  I had decided to wear heavy gloves on my way down and it was a good thing as this feisty biter was nailed right to the side of my left handed glove.  I had felt the impression of fangs on the strike which means another fraction of an inch further and I would have taken it right on the hand.  Now that I had a longer appendage of a left hand with the snake trailing off over the side of the railing I tried to get myself free by using the railing to rub the snake off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment