Monday, October 3, 2011

Lock down Dorm and Unbearable Heat


I was in a lock down college campus.  And when I say lockdown I mean exactly that, we could not get out as we were being forced to stay.  I had heard of several offenses they said and we had all done crime, mine was manslaughter.  I understood why I was there but I also knew that what I had done was the right thing morally.  I had been there only a short while and was lucky to get a bed that was in a wing off of the main corridors as it was more private and not always as hot or cold.

On this day we were all trying to survive the hot.  People were trying to do something, read, study, play games, talk, do something to keep their mind off of the heat.  I was sitting on another person's bed in the main area and talking to two young men across the short space between us and where they were sitting and listening to conversation from the two people to my left.  We had another lady in the middle left of us all ignoring us all and reading.  The two young men and I were talking about the heat and I decided to go to my bed and get my math book as I could sure use the time on it and I was afraid of the punishment that would come with falling behind.

When I was there I also picked up a campus magazine that had been put out.  I also noticed that I had a fan that I had not remembered that I had.  I took it back to where we were all hanging out and asked for help to get it all back together as it was in the form of a long vacuum cleaner type hose and end attached to a larger section.  The young man across the way got it put together.  I asked the two of them if they would like the fan pointed their way and they said sure.  About that time I noticed that they had evidentially made a pact to end their lives and ride out the short time afterward that they knew would come to do something they had dreamed of they wanted to do.

We knew from a lady further up the dorm that when a person died there was a short time that was enjoyable that you could do anything that you could imagine and then after that she said there was a quick but mellow change of state into being dead.  These two young men had allowed themselves to succumb to the heat just as I set up a fan to point at them.  The two of them turned a whitish color and then I saw them go to the window that was nearby and outside I could see that there was snow on the ground and makeshift goal posts with a jump line.  They came down a hill dressed to ski and jumped up and toward the high mark of a jump.  One fellow made it over and landed hard on the other side, the other fellow hit the pole and fell to the ground hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment