Friday, October 8, 2010

Ice Nomads

My wife and I were ice nomads.  We lived from camp to camp in the sprawling, windblown tundra.  On this day we were responsible for tearing down camp and migrating back to a previous day's abode.  We had to travel quite a distance, many miles.  We gathered all of our possessions together loaded them and got ready to make the move. Our means of transportation was snakes.  These were not normal snakes by any standard; these serpents were of unequaled size, measuring at least ten feet in length and several feet in circumference around the body.  We had two snakes for our travels.  Both were blackish gray in color.  We were complaining because my brother had created one of our snakes and it was done poorly.  It was smelly and worse yet it was not round at all but rode the ice completely flattened out. I guess a good Ice snake was round.  I am completely uncertain as to whether the snakes were living or dead. 

On this traveling day I was riding the smelly, poorly constructed snake and was the front scout.  I rode faster through the ice fields and snowdrifts while Barbara came slower behind me. I noticed a few miles out that the snow had drifted to the point that I could not see the trail that we had made on our trip out.   I made my own new path sometimes angling down icy slopes that were dozens of feet high. In my sliding along perched on the snakes back I felt the crisp and cold air. I was moving at a pretty fast clip and was maneuvering with ease.  I went a good distance and then I circled back around looking for my wife.  Not seeing her I made my way to a mini camper trailer that was sitting out in the middle of the tundra.

Several warmly dressed men were sitting around the small dining table inside the small camper and it left little room for me. Standing just inside the door I waited for Barbara expecting her to show up eventually. When she did make it I asked her if she
had made it to the previous camp.  She said no that the path had been covered up and that she came to the camper instead.  The first leg or should I say slither of our journey had ended.   




No comments:

Post a Comment