Friday, October 22, 2010

Landing on the Moon

When we landed on the moon we were in a small craft very similar to the Apollo rockets.   We slowly inched down to a raised mound of rock on the ground.   As we neared touch down our craft was slightly off the center of the mound and we risked toppling the craft.  We were able to inch our ship to the right until it landed squarely on the raised knoll.  After touchdown I recall talking to one of the other fliers making a mention that I thought it was against the rules to land on a raised swell as we had just done.  

Shortly after touchdown I was looking from within the craft as we released a sleek, white sled.  The moment it found purchase on the surface it took off quickly sliding away to places unknown, the incline that we were on giving it initial momentum. 

Some time after we landed I was in the living quarters where many people were living within a small but well built wooden cabin with a large room for dining.  I remember grabbing for a doorknob and thinking of how ridiculous it was to land on the moon and waiting there for us a wooden structure of this size. 

There was a porch attached to our quarters that overlooked a large area of grass and sunshine where many children were romping around.  I was taking in the site of the children from the porch.  One of the places the children were playing was on top of a water mechanism.  There was a metal piece of machinery used for an unknown reason and next to it an eighteen-inch gap and then another machine that was the water mechanism and what I assumed was there for purposes of cleaning dust away from the other machine. The cleaning machine was set up with high-powered water jets that could be turned on to produce a powerful spray.  The children were checking it out and playing on and around the two metal machines.  

From the porch I panned my vision to my right and there I could see a small grove of trees.  I remarked to a fellow traveler that I just couldn't get over how stupid it was to think we could land on the moon and have a building greeting us there when there were only a few trees planet wide.  We also talked about how the weather could be wild with winds of 80 miles per hour and miles and miles of dust storms.  Now turning my vision to the left and nearly back to where the children were playing I caught the site of a white four-foot long snake that was very fast moving and slithered at break-neck pace to the edge of a wooded area.  

When I left the porch I headed into the dining area and once there I overheard a question being asked of another of the travelers.  "How are our stats?"  The answer, "Not good.  Started out hot and now we are moving too low."  I spoke up and said that we needed to get back to basics, which we needed to send a white sled out to investigate the surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment