Sunday, July 17, 2011

Super Basketball play with the kid



I was being chased by the law.  I had escaped lock up and had survived for a week or so but it was difficult as I had no ID that I could use or any decent way to support myself other than bargain with whomever I could and scavenge.  I looked for sleeping places in dark corners of dance clubs or stairways.  I was eventually coming down a gravel road and a kid threw a basketball my way.  I grabbed at it and it stayed rolling down the road.  I ran for it and I tossed it back underhand without looking back.  All the way down the road I played ball with the kid.  I would swing up into the woods up the hill from the road, I would climb trees and swing on vines, I would bounce from rock to rock or slide and jump.  I would do anything that was available to me on the hills beside the road all the while accurately throwing the ball as a bounce pass or direct pass to the kid.  We had a huge amount of fun.  At a bus stop at the end of the road I bragged to some guys there trying to explain what I had done and when they did not believe me I told them to ask “dude” pointing toward the younger kid.  He told them what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment